Care Funding Advice & Help

A Dementia patient and her carer

Taking the first steps towards funding your care

Image of a Piggy Bank

The first thing we recommend you should do is to request a care needs and financial assessment by your local authority’s social services department. All local authorites are obliged to do this whether you plan to receive state funding or you are going to pay for your care privately.

This will help you to understand what government funding is available to you before you start to consider other options.

We also recommend that it’s a wise decision to speak to a care funding professional who can give you free independant advice on some of the more complex funding options.

It is important that you fully understand all your options and that know how you are going to pay for your care before you plan to start receiving it.

Free Care Fees Guide

If you would like to receive a free care fees guide entitled “Funding Care in Old Age” simply add your first name and email address below. Click submit and we’ll send your guide to your registered email address right away.

Professional Advice

We work closely with Partnership Care who are care funding specialists. Please feel free to call them on 0845 108 7240 for friendly advice and a free consultation.

Below we have listed a range of care funding options and benefits available to you when you or a family member requires care at home.

Privately funded care

This means that you will be wholly responsible for paying for your own care. This may be because you fall above the financial threshold for local authority funding. The current threshold level is £23,250 in England (£22,750 in Scotland and £23,250 in Northern Ireland) in savings and investments (this is the upper threshold) this is also including the value of your home or other property.

However there is an exception, if your partner or spouse is lives in the property with you then your home will not be included in the financial assessment

All self funders are still eligable for NHS nursing care contibutions (Currently £108.70 for England) and Attendance Allowance (see both below).

To obtain a financial assessment please speak to your local social services department.

Local Authority Funded

After your financial assessment social services may fund and directly commission care upon your behalf. You will also undergo an care needs assessment and the amount of care and help you receive will be dependant on the outcome from your needs assessment

You may ask to receive the money that would have otherwise been spent upon your behalf to be paid directly to yourself in the form of Direct Payments (see below). Payment is made directly into your bank account and you can then choose how you wish to spend and allocate this money towards the cost of your care.

Local Authority Funded via Direct Payments

Direct Payments are a tax free benefit paid to individuals who are receiving social care services. Direct Payments can be used so that individuals can obtain their own care and have more of a choice as to how the money is spent.

The money your receive can only be spent on the services that you have been assessed as needing

For more information you should speak to your local social services department or visit the DirectGov website to learn more

NHS Continuing Healthcare

The NHS Continuing Healthcare funds the care and health needs of individuals who have been assessed to have a primary healthcare need and not social. This means your care package will be funded directly by the NHS.

Your eligibility for NHS Continuing Healthcare will be assessed using the NHS Continuing Healthcare Needs Checklist by either a Doctor, Nurse, Social worker or a relevant healthcare professional.

To learn more please visit the NHS Choices website

You may also find this NHS continuing healthcare publication from Age UK also useful.

Independant Living Fund

The independant living fund is a Public Body of the Department for Work and Pensions and provides financial support to disabled people.

Payments are made every four weeks and can be used to pay for personal care and domestic assistance either by employing someone directly or via an agency. Payments can not be used to pay relatives who live within the same house.

To learn more please visit the ILF website.

Disability Living Allowance

The Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is tax free benefits paid to adults and children who need someone to look after them, have walking difficulties because they are mentally or physically disabled.

You may get Disability Living Allowance if:

You have a physical disability (including a sensory disability, such as blindness) or mental disability (including learning disabilities), or both

Your disability is severe enough for you to need help caring for yourself or someone to supervise you, for
your own or someone else’s safety, or you have walking difficulties, or both.

You are under 65 when you claim

For more information on DLA and how to claim please visit the DirectGov website.

Attendance Allowance

Attendance allowance is a tax free benefit that is paid to people aged 65 and over and who require care because they are mentally or physically disabled.

You may get Attendance Allowance if:

You have a physical disability (including sensory disability, such as blindness), a mental disability (including learning difficulties), or both

Your disability is severe enough for you to need help caring for yourself or someone to supervise you, for your own or someone else’s safefy

You are aged 65 or over when you claim

For more information on how to claim and to get help and advice please visit the DirectGov website

NHS Nursing Care Contributions (RNCC) England

Registered nursing care contributions are paid at a single rate of £108.70 per week for those who have been assessed as needing nursing care in England.

A figure of £120.55 applies to those who live in Wales

Print This Page Print This Page

We are independently reviewed by our verified customers and web users:

Rating: 4.8 / 5 with 5 votes